Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dear Jack

Dear Jack,

This week you start your 2nd year of Kindergarten. Even with school starting in 2 days, I'm not completely certain we made the right decision, but I do know that we made the best one we could- with much thought and prayer. I've spent night after night this summer awake, weeping & praying for you. Asking God to be tender and merciful to you. Praying and hoping that you will quickly make new friends and that you will also be able to hold on to those old friends that are so dear to you.

I have no doubt that you will, I just hope that it happens right away. One thing that every single teacher you've ever had has told us is, "Everyone loves Jack." And it's true. You've never met a stranger. You can talk to anyone. You love people and love to play.

I also hope you will know that you did not fail. Far, far from it. You came so far last year. You steadily progressed and grew so much. But, the truth is, it's hard to be the youngest in the class. Especially if you're a boy. And, the risks of not doing this were huge for you and for the rest of your life.

We want you to love to learn. We want you to be excited about school. We don't want you to spend every day frustrated because what you really needed was a little more time, not just more drills and practicing. We want you to know that you can do and be whatever you dream. (Except for a Jedi. Sorry sweet boy.) We don't want your joyful God-given spirit crushed because we were too scared to make a hard decision.

I know you can't read this now. And perhaps I'm only writing it right now to ease my anxious soul, but I hope one day, when you do read it, you'll know how much I love you and that you'll have always felt that love. You are a bright spot of joy in our household. I'm so proud to call you my son.

6 comments:

John Hendrix said...

I love you and your tender heart.

Melanie said...

It is impossible not to LOVE Jack. The saddest part is that he can't be a Jedi. He would be so good at it. Can't wait to see him rule K this year. Lots of love and prayers to you all this week.

Emily T. Holcombe said...

You are such sweet momma. Jack is so blessed to have you and John guiding, caring for and loving him so well.

KKeyes821 said...

Oh Andi, you brought teamrs to my eyes. I was used to this situation from the teacher's point of view, but now as a parent my heart is even softer. It is not an easy decision and although I really don't know any of the speicifics, I must say that from a teacher's perspective, it sounds like you guys have made the right decision. Kudos to you for praying and seeking HIS wisdom to guide your decision making. Parenting is tough, and I'm only beginning to learn that!!! Best wishes for a wonderfully successful school year!

amy said...

I love to see the innocence and free spirit in Jack. He will have a great year. He is a special kid and he has a great momma!!!

Tiffany said...

Keep writing letters like this. I do it regularly at transition points and give them to my kids. It really helps the kids see your heart and it does so much to build relationship, I find my letters to them tucked away in treasured places and I know they have read them numerous times.

Jack will soar because you and John love him so dearly, no worries, the struggle of hard choices always leads to good decisions. Praying for Jacks year!
Love-T