Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Reflections of Me

It's scary when you realize that your children are reflecting you back to yourself- the good stuff & the bad. John & I have discovered that he had little to do with the DNA of Jack- he's almost entirely me. That's scary to me!

Not only does he look exactly like me, but all of his mannerisims and the way he talks are reflections of me. He's shy in new situations & takes a while to warm up...just like me. He loves to pout & resists being cheered up...just like me. He's so, so stubborn...just like me. He has a fiery hot temper...just like me. He thinks poop is really funny...just like...well...me. He's grouchy when he wakes up...just like me. He's compassionate & emotional...just like me. He likes to steal his friend's toys...oh wait, not like me. And I could go on & on.

Sometimes, when I get frustrated with Jack, I sit back & realize that he is reacting exactly the way I would like to react & probably would react if I had no impulse control. I hope the fact that we are so similar will make me a better mom to him. Poor John has to live with two of us in the same house!

3 comments:

Grandpa G said...

From another perspective that might be called payback ...

Andi said...

boooooooo.

Tiffany said...

We went to parent teacher conferences last night and I had the same thoughts. Brennan has all of Paul's strengths and many of both of our weaknesses and Ashlyn seemed to take the best of both of us. It helps us know how to help them from the lessons we have learned living in these personalities. Wonder who the next one will be like???