Saturday, September 13, 2008

Thank You Varicella Vaccine, for Giving My Son the Pox

Yes, it's true.  Jack is apparently one of the 3-5% of people who actually get the chicken pox from the vaccination.  We've delayed all of his vax, but I've been slowly catching him up on them.  Two weeks before school started he got the varicella vaccination so he wouldn't get the chicken pox.  

He now has the chicken pox.  Nothing like I had as a kid- I was covered from head to toe.  He has about 30 spots, no blisters, no fever.  He just itches.  It's supposedly not contagious, but I've still quarantined us, just in case.  The worst part has been sleep.  He's been sleeping so great for us, but the past 2 nights he's been in bed with me & up every hour or two because of the itching.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are mistaken if you think that only a kids get pox from the shot, it is more like 98% Worse many of the kids getting the shot go on to get shingles as a teen. I know this because I am a school nurse and have seen shingles jump since pushing the vax. also, kids are getting pox 3 and 4 times thanks to the shot.

Anonymous said...

OK, however apparently mistaken and deluded you are... that sucks! :p

I hope Jack feels better soon (and just think, maybe Jack would have ended up being one of those kids who would get it like 3 or 4 times without the vax. And that would be a full-blown icky case!)
-sylwinn